All prospective NIH personnel requiring a NIH Personal Identity Verification (PIV) badge or the NIH Restricted Local Access (RLA) badge must be enrolled at an NIH PIV Card Issuance Facility (PCIF). The Badge Enrollment process comprises of Identity Proofing, Photograph, Fingerprinting and biometric collection for the PIV/RLA badge.
Once your Administrative Officer (AO) has sponsored you for a badge and NIH account, and DPSAC completes the Prescreening process, you will receive an e-mail from our office instructing you to schedule a Badge Enrollment appointment. To find an NIH PCIF location and for Scheduling Information, look under our Contact page for either the NIH Bethesda Main Campus or Other DPSAC Locations (PCIFs).
What do I need to bring to my Badge Enrollment appointment?
1. Two (2) forms of valid government-issued identification, one of which contains a photo. Visit the FIPS 201-3 PDF to view a complete list of approved identification.
- Both forms of ID must be unexpired.
- Your identifying information (i.e. first name, middle name and last name, date of birth, etc.) on both forms of ID must match exactly (no exceptions).
- If you were recently married or underwent a legal name-change, you must present DPSAC with two forms of valid government issued identification showing your NEW legal name (DPSAC will not accept a marriage certificate as a form of acceptable identification).
2. For customers obtaining Badge Enrollment or Badge Authorization/Issuance services at the NIH Main Campus in Bethesda, Maryland: Prior to your arrival to the NIH, please print a copy of your email showing confirmation of your appointment or have the email ready to be presented on your smart phone. Once you have arrived, present your email to the Security Guard or Police Officer at the NIH's Gateway Center or Commercial Vehicle Inspection Facility (CVIF) to ensure you are expedited through the security screening process. Failure to do so may result in delays or possible denial of entry to the NIH.
Remote Enrollment Services
Remote enrollment badging services have been discontinued until further notice.
Building Access Control Changes
To enhance the safety and security of the interior of campus, the NIH will convert the following administrative buildings to a "weekend access control" schedule. Buildings 1, 2, 3, 12A, 15K, 16, 30T, 38, 45, 61, T40B and 82RA will transition to this new access control schedule. In order to enter from the exterior of a building, employees will need to use their NIH-issued identification badge with a card reader, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is the same procedure used to enter the main campus at any of our employee entrances.
Note: the only exceptions involve remote coordination of Badge PIN resets and Certificate renewals.
Individuals Working with Children
Individuals working with children under the age of 18 will have additional fingerprinting and investigation requirements as part of the mandatory background investigation. Take advantage of your enrollment appointment to complete these requirements on site. For more information, visit our Investigative Requirements for Individuals Working with Children page.