​​For Administrators - Onboarding New Staff

Information for Foreign Nationals

All non-immigrant Foreign Nationals (FN)/non-U.S. citizens will be required to work closely with the NIH Division of International Services (DIS) to satisfy all of the federal requirements for working with the U.S. Government before they can start your new position or be given access to NIH facilities and information systems. 

Please recommend all FNs to visit the DIS website to get an understanding of legal status/work authorization requirements that will be needed prior to visiting DPSAC. DPSAC cannot begin their Prescreening process until both the AO completes badge sponsorship and, if applicable, DIS completes validation for the FN. Please note: DIS does not process Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR).​​

Prior to DPSAC processing, all FNs (with the exception of U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents) must have their employment eligibility and legal status validated by DIS. Additionally, FNs must obtain a valid U.S. Social Security Number prior to being initiated into any DPSAC process. When registering and sponsoring FNs in NED, AOs should request proof of citizenship to avoid errors in the citizenship/LPR registration fields in NED.

All Foreign Nationals must bring two forms of valid U.S. Government issued identification, one of which contains a photo, to their appointments. Please see the list of Acceptable Identification Documents.


  • ​If a candidate was born outside of the U.S.:
    • AOs must not select a state abbreviation for the "Country of Birth" when completing their NED registration.
  • Foreign Nationals (non-U.S. Citizens) and U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents must be prepared to provide any one or more of the following documents to establish identity, legal status and/or employment authorization:
    • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
    • Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
    • Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
    • For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status, please refer to the DIS website​. 
    • Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI​
  • U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents must be able to provide proof of their Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Card (aka Green Card). An Employment Authorization Card is not a Lawful Permanent Resident Card.