Share A Ride - Carpool or Vanpool
Commuting in the Washington Metropolitan area can be very difficult. Traffic congestion and air pollution from vehicle emissions have steadily increased within the last several years. To help ease traffic congestion, decrease pollution, and reduce the stress associated with the daily trip to and from work, the NIH offers a free Carpool and Vanpool Matching Service, the NIH Rideshare Program, through the Employee Transportation Services Office (ETSO), Division of Amenities and Transportation Services, Office of Research Services. This program may be used by all NIH employees to find temporary and permanent ride-sharing situations.
Joining the NIH Rideshare Program is easy!
The program is open to all employees and contractors with NIH usernames and passwords. After logging in, choose the "Join Rideshare" button and follow the on-screen prompts. After joining the program, you can search for and send an email to other Rideshare members who live and work near you. Log in to your CAPS account with your NIH username and password by clicking on the logo below.
- Close-in carpool parking lots that are easily accessible and reserved parking until 11:00 am;
- A reserved parking space for registered vanpools in a lot of their choosing;
- Use of HOV traffic lanes for carpools and vanpools;
- Qualification for the "Guaranteed Ride Home Program" sponsored by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments;
- Monetary savings on gas, auto insurance, and vehicle wear and tear.
If you must drive to work, carpool and vanpool riders may receive up to 48 temporary one-day parking permits per calendar year. You may obtain these temporary permits online through the CAPS System OR emailing request to email@example.com.
Obtaining a Carpool Parking Permit
The NIH Campus Carpool Permit requires a minimum of two applicants with NIH on-campus worksites and approved for parking privileges to qualify.
Employees may apply for a Carpool Parking Permit by emailing the ETSO at firstname.lastname@example.org with the information below;
- Both Carpoolers NIH ID Number(s);
- Both Carpoolers License plate number(s) and state;
- Both Carpoolers Vehicle(s) make, model, and year (copy of registration preferred)
- Verify home address, once request is processed, the new permit will be mailed to the address in CAPS or call 301-496-5050 to make an appointment to pick-up permit.
Note: If applicants presently possess an NIH Parking Permit (General, Contractor, Off-Campus, Red, etc.) they must return that permit before applying for carpool permit.
This permit is valid in areas with "CP Spaces reserved until 11:00 am" in designated areas of parking lots/garages throughout the campus. If carpool spaces are full, this permit is authorized in "General" parking spaces. Carpool parking permits are valid in RED areas after 3:00 pm.