CAPS is supported in Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari. If you receive an error message when trying to login, your security settings on your browser may be too high. Please try lowering them temporarily until you are complete with your actions. If you don't have an NIH ID, please visit the NIH Parking Office
to obtain a permit in person.
Applying for a Parking Hanger (Join Parking)
In order to obtain a permanent parking permit for the NIH Bethesda Campus, all vehicles must be register through the Employee Transportation Services Office (ETSO). ETSO issues parking permits
in the form of a rear-view mirror hanger to eligible employees. You may request a permit in one of two ways:
Applying online through
- Obtain permit in-person* at the
ETSO/Parking Office. NIH ID card is not required at time of enrollment. However, employees information must be in the NED system and employee must present a copy of valid vehicle registration with the employees name on registration to obtain permit. Additionally, contractor or tenant, must be authorized for parking in the NED system by an Administrative Officer.
*ETSO/Parking Office is closed due to pandemic until further notice. In-person enrollment is suspended. If unable to apply for permit on-line, please email email@example.com or call 301-496-5050.
It is the responsible of the permit holder to adhere to all applicable policies, regulations, and laws while using the NIH Parking Permit. The ETSO attempts to inform the NIH staff of parking policy changes using global email. In specific cases the use of website alerts, fliers, signs, and news articles maybe utilized. ETSO is not involved with or responsible for any parking citations or law enforcement actions taken on the NIH Campus. Those enforcement matters should be addressed to the NIH Division of Police. The use of NIH parking permits is the sole responsibility of the user to ensure they are up-to-date and compliant with all parking policies and regulations.
By accepting an NIH parking permit you acknowledge and accept the following terms and conditions:
- Any person who knowingly makes a false representation on this application may be subject to a criminal prosecution potentially resulting in a fine or imprisonment, or both, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. 1001 and to disciplinary actions, including the revocation of parking privileges, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. Chapter 75 and 5 C.F.R. Part 752.
- The parking permit (hanger) is the property of NIH and must be returned to the NIH Division of Amenities and Transportation Services (DATS) upon separation from the Government or when the holder is no longer eligible for the permit.
- The permit cannot be transferred.
- The permit must be properly displayed while parked on the NIH Campus – Bethesda, Maryland and is valid through the last day of the month and year displayed.
- Anyone using this permit inappropriately is subject to possible administrative and/or criminal penalties, including ticketing and towing of the vehicle.
- If you are renewing, please destroy or discard your old parking permit in the trash.
- You have read and understand the
NIH Parking Policy, Manual Chapter 1410 and will adhere to all rules and regulations within the policy and abide by policy applications administrated by the program managers.
Online Enrollment Instructions
After logging into
, choose the button labeled "Enroll in Parking", follow steps below:
- Step 1: Verify work address, click Next;
- Step 2: Enter your current (local) home address;
- Step 3: Enter the number of days you will commute to work (typically, 20 days per month);
- Step 4: Enter vehicle information: year, make, model, license plate number, type of vehicle (truck, car, etc.), and type of engine (gas, hybrid, etc.) and if more then one vehicle registered, identify which of the authorized vehicles is your primary vehicle, if applicable.
*If you are
not eligible to receive a parking permit, you will not have the option to "Enroll in Parking." Please contact your Administrative Officer for further guidance.
After submitting your online permit request, you will receive two emails from "CAPS Admin." The first, is a confirmation of your submittal and its pending status. The second, email will either approve or deny the request. If approved, you will receive information concerning where the hanger(permit) will be mailed and what to do if you do not receive it.
Modify/Change Parking Account
Did you get a new vehicle? Need to update a license plate number? Want to update home address or information associated with your parking account?
Updating your account is easy!
Login to CAPS and select the "Modify Parking" button. Follow the on-screen prompts to update details concerning your NIH Parking account.
Renew Parking Hanger
NIH Parking Hangers are renewed on a yearly and bi-yearly basis, depending on the permit type. Red and General permit types are renewed every two years, whereas all other types are renewed yearly. Regardless of permit type, the expiration month and year of your permit will be displayed on the front and back of the hanger.
During your renewal month you will receive weekly renewal email reminders from "CAPS Admin" directing you to login to CAPS. After login into the CAPS system, please choose the "Renew Parking" button and follow the on screen prompts. Once you have renewed, you will no longer receive email reminders. Please be sure to verify your information during
the renewal process, specifically, your home address where the permit will be mailed.
If after logging into CAPS, you do not see the option to renew, and it's your permit's expiration month, you may have been terminated from the NIH Parking Program. To receive new permit, visit the ETSO/Parking Office in-person.
ETSO/Parking Office will continue to issue in-person renewals for individuals without access to CAPS, or if an employee wants obtain new hanger immediately. Please be sure to bring your vehicle registration, if it has changed.
|General||A - B||January||2 Years|
|General||C - D||February||2 Years|
|General||E - G||March||2 Years|
|General||H - J||May||2 Years|
|General||K - L||June||2 Years|
|General||M - N||July||2 Years|
|General||O - R||August||2 Years|
|General||S - T||September||2 Years|
|General||U - Z||November||2 Years|
|Gold Disability||Not Applicable||May||2 Years|
|Off-Campus||A - M||July||2 Years|
|Off-Campus||N -Z||October ||2 Years|
|Carpool||Not Applicable||October||1 Year|
|Vanpool||Not Applicable||November||2 Years|
|Red||A - M||February||2 Years|
|Red||N - Z||April||2 Years|
|Contractor||A - M||September||1 Year|
|Contractor||N - Z||December||1 Year|
In order to participate in a NIH Commuting Subsidy Program (Transhare/Vanpool Subsidy), parking members must be removed from the Parking program and are required to return the parking permit to the ETSO/Parking Office. This action cannot be performed online.
In accordance with
NIH Chapter Manual 1410, NIH Parking permits are the property of the federal government, upon separation from the NIH, employees must return parking permit to the ETSO/Parking Office or prior to joining a subsidized program.
Returning your Permit is easy! You can stop by the ETSO/Parking Office during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm, excluding Federal holidays) or you can mail it to the office.