For questions, please contact:
Division of Emergency Management
Phone: (301) 496-1985
For questions specific to your Institute or Center, please contact your Emergency Coordinator.
Cell Phone: (301) 496-9911
Cell Phone: 911
Planning for Special Needs
- If you or someone close to you has a disability or special needs, find out about special assistance that may be available in your community.
- Register with the office of emergency services or the local fire department for assistance so needed help can be provided.
- Create a network of neighbors, relatives, friends, and coworkers to aid you in an emergency. Discuss your needs and make sure everyone knows how to operate necessary equipment.
- Discuss your needs with your employer.
- If you are mobility impaired and live or work in a high-rise building, have an escape chair.
- If you live in an apartment building, ask the management to mark accessible exits clearly and to make arrangements to help you leave the building.
- Keep specialized items ready, including extra wheelchair batteries, oxygen, catheters, medication, food for service animals, and any other items you might need.
- Be sure to make provisions for medications that require refrigeration.
- Keep a list of the type and model numbers of the medical devices you require.
Additional Steps for Special Needs
If you or someone close to you has a disability or a special need, you may have to take additional steps to protect yourself and your family in an emergency.
- Hearing impaired - May need to make special arrangements to receive warnings.
- Mobility impaired - May need special assistance to get to a shelter.