Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Division of International Services


pattern bar above navigation
pattern bar above navigation
DIS Title Divider Visiting Scientists Title Divider Leaving NIH
​​​​Visiting Program Scientists​
Leaving NIH​

If you plan to leave NIH, please refer to our checklists below. Refer to our poster of the Visiting Program Separation/Termination Notice process.


  • Notify your Administrative Officer (AO). Your AO will submit a Termination notice to DIS. Your AO will also update your forwarding address in the relevant NIH systems and confirm you have completed all necessary separation processes for your Institute/Center.
    • Review NIH Form 3000 and complete if necessary. Questions should be referred to the IC and/or the email address on the form.
  • Return your NIH ID badge.
  • Unsubscribe from the DIS Scientist Listserv.
  • Health Insurance - Fellows must email a Fellowship Termination Notification. You will receive follow-up information on how to continue health insurance coverage, if needed.
  • If you will continue to work for NIH from outside the United States, coordinate with your Administrative Officer to obtain authorization for remote access and/or government equipment. DIS is not involved in this process.

Other Tasks​

  • Travel – Make sure you have a valid passport if you will depart the country. Check the U.S. Department of State website to see if there are any travel restrictions that affect your travel plans.
  • Taxes – Timely file your annual tax documents, or statement of earnings (e.g. W-2 or 1042S). These tax forms will be sent the forwarding address you provide to your AO.
  • Social Security Number (SSN) – Your SSN will never change. Keep your social security card in case you ever return to the United States.
  • Close/cancel your bank, utility, phone, and credit card accounts, as well as any relevant subscriptions.
  • Keep originals and copies of all your immigration documents and accomplishments.
  • J-1 Exchange Visitors sponsored by NIH - Join the Department of State’s International Exchange Alumni website.
  • Fellows can join the OITE NIH alumni database.
  • Non-NIH sponsored scientists - Notify your immigration sponsor. For example, F-1 students must notify a Designated School Official (DSO) at their school.

Avoid Unlawful Presence


Unlawful presence occurs when you overstay your authorized time in the United States or are present in the United States without being lawfully admitted. If you accrue unlawful presence, you may be barred from re-entry to the United States for certain periods of time and/or may become ineligible to obtain a U.S. nonimmigrant visa anywhere other than your home country.

Refer to the USCIS guidance on Unlawful Presence and Bars to Admissibility.

To avoid unlawful presence or a violation of immigration rules, depart the United States on or before the last day of your authorized stay:

  • J-1 – depart within 30 days after end of DS-2019 or end of program, whichever is earlier
  • H-1B – depart by end date of I-94 or after end of employment, whichever is earlier
  • O-1 – depart by end date of I-94 or after end of employment, whichever is earlier
  • TN – depart by end date of I-94 or after end of employment, whichever is earlier
  • F-1 – 60 days after end of I-20 or end of program of studies or OPT, whichever is earlier

You are considered to be lawfully in the United States after your end of program if you have filed a non-frivolous petition with USCIS to extend your stay, change your status, or adjust your status before expiration of your lawful stay. Consult with an immigration attorney if necessary.

Do not use your NIH immigration documents to travel or work in the United States if you are no longer sponsored or employed by NIH.

Revised 08/2022

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​DIS Info 
Service Hours:
9:00am - 4:00pm ET
Non-FTE Check-In/EOD:
Monday By 11:30am
(in local time zone of lab)
Advising Services:
Document Pickup:​​​​​​​​​​
J-1/J-2 Travel Signature Requests:​​​​​​​​​​​
Badge Validation:​​​​​​​​​​
​​​ Toolbox