A best practice is a superior method, or an innovative approach that consistently exceeds standard levels of performance. For a method or an approach to be considered a best practice several of the following conditions must be met:
- Evidence of an expert review (e.g. independent assessment, award, functional or auditing team)
- Proof of dramatic performance improvement compared to standard levels of performance
- Results are consistently shown as superior to those of similar organizations
- Multiple independent sources agree the practice is superior
Benefits of Benchmarking & Sharing
Benchmarking and the sharing of best practices are effective organizational change tools when used as part of a planned approach to improve readiness and provide quality products and services. Before beginning your own process, review existing benchmarking studies and best practice case studies to see if there are current processes and practices that can be adapted to meet your organizational needs to save time.
Sharing benchmarking information and best practices recognize innovative and creative organizations that are:
- Improving customer and employee satisfaction
- Enhancing management practices
- Introducing new technologies
- Ensuring best value
The validation of business processes is a great advantage of benchmarking and the sharing of outcomes. By utilizing validated processes, methods, initiative, etc. your organization should experience at least one of the following:
- Improved organizational readiness
- Notable cost avoidance
- Significant cost or time savings
- Improved customer service
Overall, the process of benchmarking and sharing of best practices is an excellent way of learning from the experiences of others, adapting the knowledge gained, and significantly improving operational performance.
The ORS Office of Quality Management is the focal point for collecting, consolidating, and disseminating best practices information in the ORS. As part of this effort, OQM has compiled a list of best practices case studies that may be of interest to you.