Services - Access Control and Badge Issuance Branch
Returning your Badge when Leaving NIH

If you plan on leaving the employ of NIH, whether you are an employee, contractor or affiliate, you MUST turn in your HHS ID badge or RLA badge to your Administrative Officer so that s/he can deactivate your badge in NED.  The AO will turn in the deactivated badge to the badging office.

The requirement to collect the badge as part of the check-out process for all employees, contractors and affiliates leaving NIH is stated in the NIH Policy Manual under ORH (2300-940-Clearance of Personnel for Separation), posted at:

If moving from one IC to another, you may keep your HHS ID Badge/PIV card; however, you may need access to new physical locations.  In that case your AO should contact: 

Troubleshooting Guide to Diagnose Problems with your PIV Card (HHS ID Badge or RLA Badge) 

1. Were you able to get onto campus and/or any buildings/rooms with your badge today? 

2. Were you able to log into your computer and/or any IT systems (e.g. NED) with your HHS ID Badge and PIN?

  • If YES, you badge should be working correctly. Please contact the NIH Access Control Helpdesk at (301) 451-4766 or with any concerns.
  • If NO, please proceed to question 3.

3. Did you try logging in with your HHS ID Badge on someone else’s computer?

  • If YES, please proceed to question 4.
  • If NO, please try logging in with your HHS ID Badge on another computer. Then proceed to question 4.

4. Were you able to successfully log in using someone else’s computer?