Services - Access Control and Badge Issuance Branch
Additional Badge Services

Determining the status of your badge 
NIH personnel can access their NED record via the NED ‘Self Service’ page to view their badge status and to update personal information. First, log onto NED via (NIH Login required). Click on ‘Track My Badge Status’ in the left navigation panel to view the status of your ID badge. This screen displays the history of your badge status. To view a NED Self Service tutorial on how NIH staff can update their own records, click on the link NED Self Service.

Getting Access to your building
Your administrative officer or supervisor will be able to program your PIV card so it will work with the card reader that controls access to your building or laboratory. 

Lost/Stolen ID Badges
Report lost or stolen badges to Facility Access Control immediately at 301-451-4766. They will disable your badge so no one can use it. You must also contact your Administrative Officer (AO) who will need to report your badge as lost/stolen in the NIH Enterprise Directory (NED) to authorize a replacement ID badge. Also, if your ID Badge is broken, contact Facility Access Control at 301-451-4766. They can set up an appointment for you to receive a replacement badge.

Broken Badges -- Start with Access Control
Badge holders working at the Bethesda campus or at nearby locations should bring their broken badge to one of the following DPSAC Badge Issuance Centers:

  • Building 31, Rm. 1B03
  • Building 10-Clinical Research Center, Room 1C52 (South Lobby)
  • 9609 Medical Center Drive, Room 2E116. 
    • Issuance: Mon/Tue/Fri  7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
    • Enrollment: Tuesday only 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
  • Bayview Biomedical Research Center (BRC) 
    • Enrollment/Issuance: Thursday only 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM 
  • 5601 Fishers Lane
    • Enrollment/Issuance Wednesday only 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM

    To view contact information as well as hours of operation and badging services for all locations, including  Rocky Mountain Laboratories, MT; Research Triangle Park, NC; Frederick National Cancer Center, MD, click on: Contact Information.  

    Helpful Tip: DPSAC has prepared a useful reference guide "ID Badge Re-Issuance Procedures" (PDF, 7 pages)  describing five circumstances requiring HHS ID Badge replacement (Lost or Stolen; Classification Changes; Renewal; Broken or Damaged; Name Changes) and the replacement process for each situation. 

    Renewing Certificates or Resetting Your PIN
    If you need to renew your PIV Card certificates , visit your local Lifecycle Work Station (LWS) operator or stop by one of DPSAC's Badge Issuance Stations (listed above under Broken Badges. If you have the Access Card Utility installed on your computer, you can renew your certificates at your computer.  If you need assistance, contact Facility Access Control at (301) 451-4766.

    • If you have forgotten your PIN, you will need to reset it. Visit your local Lifecycle Work Station (LWS) operator or stop by one of DPSAC's Badge Issuance Stations for assistance.