For Administrators - Understanding DPSAC Services
Additional Badge Services

Determining the Status of an Individual's ID Badge 

NIH personnel can access their NED record via the NED ‘Self Service’ page to view their badge status and to update personal information. First, log onto NED via (NIH Login required). Click on ‘Track My Badge Status’ in the left navigation panel to view the status of your ID badge. This screen displays the history of your badge status. To update your own records, visit here:

How Individuals Can Get Access to Their building

The individual's Administrative Officer (AO) or supervisor will be able to program the individual's PIV card so it will work with the card reader that controls access to his/her building or laboratory. 

Renewing Digital Certificates 

All PIV card holders are required to renew digital certificates that are tied to their badge in order to continue logging in, using email encryption, and/or digitally signing documents. Renewing digital certificates should be done before their expiration date. HHSIdentity will automatically contact any PIV card holder with an email alert requesting them to renew their digital certificates before their expiration date. 

To renew your PIV Card certificates, you may visit your local Lifecycle Work Station (LWS) operator or stop by one of DPSAC's Badge Issuance Stations at the NIH Bethesda Main Campus or one of our off-site locations for assistance. If you have the Access Card Utility installed on your computer, you can renew your certificates at your computer. If you need assistance, contact Facility Access Control at (301) 451-4766. 

For further information, please visit our section on "Renewing Digital Certificates and ID Badges."

Resetting Your PIN

If an individual has forgotten his/her PIN, the individual will need to reset it. They must visit his/her local Lifecycle Work Station (LWS) operator or stop by one of DPSAC's Badge Issuance Stations at the NIH Bethesda Main Campus or one of our off-site locations for assistance. ​

Lost/Stolen ID Badges

Report lost or stolen badges to Facility Access Control immediately at 301-451-4766. They will disable the individual's badge so no one can use it. Individuals must also contact their Administrative Officer (AO) who will need to report their badge as lost/stolen in the NIH Enterprise Directory (NED) to authorize a replacement ID badge. Also, if an individual's ID Badge is broken, contact Facility Access Control at 301-451-4766. They can set up an appointment for the individual to receive a replacement badge.

Broken Badges -- Start with Access Control

Badge holders working at the NIH Bethesda Main Campus or at nearby locations should bring their broken badge to one of the following DPSAC Badge Issuance Centers:

  • Building 31, Rm. 1B03
  • Building 10-Clinical Research Center, Room 1C52 (South Lobby)
  • 9609 Medical Center Drive, Room 2E116. 
    • Issuance: Mon/Tue/Fri  7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
    • Enrollment: Tuesday only 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM
  • Bayview Biomedical Research Center (BRC) 
    • Enrollment/Issuance: Thursday only 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM 
  • 5601 Fishers Lane
    • Enrollment/Issuance Wednesday only 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM

    To view contact information as well as hours of operation and badging services for all locations, including: Rocky Mountain Laboratories, MT; Research Triangle Park, NC; and Frederick National Cancer Center, MD; please visit our Contact page.

    Helpful Tip: DPSAC has prepared a useful reference guide "ID Badge Re-Issuance Procedures" (PDF, 7 pages)  describing five circumstances requiring HHS ID Badge replacement (Lost or Stolen; Classification Changes; Renewal; Broken or Damaged; Name Changes) and the replacement process for each situation.

    Back to Badge Issuance