The Federal Benefits Open Season and Leave Bank Open Enrollment Is Coming
Fall is in the air, and with it, comes the annual Federal Benefits Open Season and Leave Bank Open Enrollment. Mark your calendar and be ready! This year's Open Season and Open Enrollment will begin on November 14 and run through December 12, 2022. This is your opportunity to:
- Enroll, cancel, or make a change to your enrollments for the participating programs, and
- Become a 2023 member of the NIH Leave Bank
Federal Benefits Open Season
This year, there will be a Virtual Benefits Open Season Fair with four Live Chat dates, instead of in-person fairs. During the live chats, representatives from the participating plans will be available to take your questions. Registration will be required. The following three programs are participating in the Open Season:
1) Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program – To enroll, cancel, or change your FEHB enrollment, you must use https://mypay.dfas.mil/#/. If you do not submit an election during the Open Season, your current enrollment will automatically continue into 2023, subject to any changes identified in the health plan brochure. Open Season elections will be effective on January 1, 2023.
2) Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) – To enroll, cancel, or change your FEDVIP enrollment, you must use https://www.benefeds.com/ or call 1-877-888-3337 (TTY: 1-877-889-5680). Your current enrollment will automatically continue into 2023, if you do not take any action. Open Season elections will be effective on January 1, 2023.
3) Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) Program – To enroll in an FSA for 2023, you must use https://www.fsafeds.com/ or call 1-877-372-3337 (TTY: 1-866-353-8058). If currently enrolled, your enrollment will not automatically continue into 2023. If you want an account in 2023, you must enroll during the Open Season. Open Season elections will be effective on January 1, 2023.
Additional information about the Open Season and fair will be forthcoming in the coming weeks. Both will be advertised in the upcoming Benefits Newsletters (https://hr.nih.gov/about/news/benefits-newsletter), on the OHR Benefits Calendar of Events (https://hr.nih.gov/benefits/events), and via NIH-wide announcements.
Planning to retire? If you are planning to retire, please submit your retirement paperwork to your Benefits Specialist at least 60-90 days prior to your retirement date. To find your Benefits Specialist, go to https://hr.nih.gov/about/hr-contacts.
Important Benefits Open Season Reminder:
We ask that you schedule an appointment if you wish to meet with a member of our staff. We have staff available to welcome you on an appointment-only basis. To schedule your appointment, please contact your Benefits Specialist.
The NIH Leave Bank Open Enrollment
The NIH Leave Bank is a pooled bank of donated annual and restored leave available to eligible members who are affected by a personal or family medical emergency. It offers income protection and amounts to paid leave for members who have exhausted all of their leave To elect to become a 2023 member, log into https://itas.nih.gov/ during Open Enrollment and select “Leave Bank Membership." If you are currently a 2022 Leave Bank member, your membership will automatically continue into 2023, unless you take action in ITAS during Open Enrollment to opt-out.
Two informational webinars held throughout the Open Season to provide an overview of the program. Webinars will be open to all NIH employees and do not require prior registration. For more details, please visit https://hr.nih.gov/benefits/events.
For more information about NIH Leave Bank membership, please visit https://hr.nih.gov/benefits/leave/leave-bank/becoming-member
Reminder: You Can Donate Your Use-or-Lose Leave!
Please consider donating your unused Use-or-Lose annual leave to the Leave Bank Program. Donations can be made using the “Donate to LB" option in https://itas.nih.gov/. Use-or-Lose hours must be donated on or before December 31, 2022.
For more information about NIH Leave Bank donations, please visit https://hr.nih.gov/benefits/leave/leave-bank/leave-bank-donations
Questions regarding the Leave Bank may be directed to the NIH Leave Bank Office at 301-443-8393 or LeaveBank@od.nih.gov.