Free Flu Vaccine Protects You, Patients and Family
Foil the Flu, the annual seasonal influenza immunization program for all NIH workers, begins Monday, September 26 and runs through November 4. All federal employees, trainees and contractors are highly encouraged to be immunized against the flu. Getting a flu shot every year is the best way to reduce your risk of getting sick with flu. This year, it is more important than ever to take advantage of the benefits of protecting against the flu because COVID-19 will likely continue to be transmitted during the coming flu season. To participate in Foil the Flu you need a valid NIH identification badge. The annual flu vaccine is mandatory for all NIH staff who have contact with Clinical Center patients.
Important items to consider:
- The vaccine will be given by appointment only for all sites (including clinics in Montana, North Carolina, Baltimore and Frederick, MD), through an online registration system.
- The location on the Bethesda main campus has returned to Building 10, CRC 7th Floor Atrium, East Side. Building 10 access is controlled and individuals must be screened before entering through the north, south, and P1 parking entrances. Map available. Parking is limited to Building 10 occupants only.
- All individuals must wear a surgical mask at any flu clinic site and will be provided one upon entering Building 10 or any flu clinic. Individuals must follow all physical distancing requirements. Please do not arrive for your scheduled appointment time more than 10 minutes early to avoid creating lines at the check-in area.
- For the 2022 Immunization Schedule and Online Appointment Registration visit the Foil the Flu website. This website includes parking information for some sites and answers to frequently asked questions. (Google Chrome is the preferred browser for the Foil the Flu Registration application. Internet Explorer is not supported.)
- IMPORTANT: All teleworking employees in the Washington, DC area are encouraged to schedule an appointment at our 6700B Rockledge, 5601 Fishers Lane, or Shady Grove locations and avoid the Bethesda Main Campus. Please do not schedule an appointment at Baltimore/Harbor Hospital or Poolesville unless you work onsite at those locations. Simultaneous clinics will begin in satellite campuses across the country. Take care to select the correct site when registering to make an appointment.
If, after checking the Foil the Flu website, you still have questions, please contact Occupational Medical Service (OMS) at 301-496-4411 or OMSfluclinic@mail.nih.gov or the Clinical Center Hospital Epidemiology Service (HES) at 301-496-2209.
Additional Helpful Information:
- Employees intending to receive a flu vaccine should wear clothing that allows easy access to the upper arm. Changing areas will not be available.
- The Foil the Flu program will offer an egg-free quadrivalent vaccine matched to this year's circulating flu strains. Additional information on Flucelvax® is available.
- Employees 65 and older are eligible to receive Fluzone® high-dose vaccine, which has been shown to enhance protection against influenza in this age group. Flublok®, an egg-free high-dose vaccine, will also be offered. Additional information on options for those 65 years and older is available.
- Information for staff who have contact with Clinical Center patients and are required to receive the vaccine: Documentation will be required for all declinations, as well as for immunizations received outside NIH. For more information, including the medical and religious declination forms, visit this HES website. Please submit declination forms and documentation of outside vaccination in person to OMS (Building 10/Room 6C306) or upload in this online form. Once reviewed, OMS will update your compliance status. Please call OMS at 301-496-4411 for additional assistance. Interested staff should review the following information before visiting the clinic.
- Following immunization, your FollowMyHealth® portal account will be updated with proof of vaccination. If you do not have a FollowMyHealth® account, please call the Portal Support line at 855-644-6445 or email NIHCCPatientPortal@mail.nih.gov to gain access.
- We encourage everyone to submit all suggestions, questions, and comments to OMSfluclinic@mail.nih.gov.
Foil the Flu is sponsored by:
NIH Office of Research Services/Division of Occupational Health and Safety/Occupational Medical Service and the NIH Clinical Center/Hospital Epidemiology Service