The following steps will help ensure you are prepared and
ready to take action if a fire emergency were to occur in your workplace.
- Post the fire department emergency phone number by your
phone. When on the NIH Bethesda campus, dial 911 from an office phone (or
301-496-9911 from a cell). For off-campus NIH facilities dial 9-911 from an
office phone (or 911 from a cell phone).
- Locate the nearest fire alarm manual pull stations from
your work area and know how to operate them.
- Know the sound of your building fire alarm system so
you know when to take action if your building fire alarm system is activated.
- Know at least two ways out of your work area.
- Familiarize yourself with the building you work in so
you know how to evacuate the building from wherever you are in the building.
- Participate in evacuation drills and familiarize
yourself with NIH Policy Manual 1430 – NIH Occupant Evacuation Plan (http://oma.od.nih.gov/manualchapters/management/1430/)
so you understand your building’s Occupant Evacuation Plan.
- If you have a disability, participate in the Occupant
Emergency Organization for your building. Discuss in advance with the Division
of Emergency Preparedness and Coordination, Emergency Planning Coordinator
(Phone: 301-496-1985) what assistance you will need to alert you and to help
you leave your work area and get to a safe location.
If you have any fire safety issues or questions, please
contact the Division of the Fire Marshal, Office of Research Services at
301-496-0487. For occupant evacuation planning issues or questions, please
contact the Division of Emergency Preparedness and Coordination, Office of
Research Services at 301-496-1985.